03 May, 2013

Re-remembering the winning ways, and rainy daze

Since my last post I've had another decent week of training and last weekend I had two smaller second category races: well, one and a bit. On Saturday Sam and I rode 45km out to a circuit race and despite some horrendous tactics on my part (missing the break of twenty five riders and having to solo across alone) we both made our way into the decisive break. I was caught out by the different style of lower category racing and that meant I did mince my legs a bit early on in the race. Thankfully Sam was on the ball and took the reins, attacking solo to shred the group, before attacking the trio of him, myself and fellow Brit George Moore to take the win solo. I was a big meanie and sat on George to take the sprint for second. Our elder teammate Fred also clinched 4th so all in all a very good day for the team. It was good fun, although the ride home did get fairly trippy as we drifted in and out of glycogen debt. 

Me looking like an absolute child!

Sunday started out with such promise as we cruised to another local training race with high spirits and the sun on our backs. There was one drawback though. We forgot our legs. The race began, but neither of us really got going. I knocked it on the head about forty minutes in when I had confirmed I was truly turd. Sam lasted a little longer. Still, it had been a tough old week so I was happy to have pushed the boundaries. 

This was before I realised I was ruined on Sunday

Wednesday was a first category race on a circuit in what turned out to be fairly moist weather. My summary of the race would be this. I felt deaddddd for the first ninety minutes, missed the break and the counter break and thought the race was all over. But then.... Then, it started raining and this seemed to oil my joints! I came to life and started to feel better and better. The break was around 45 seconds ahead at this point and I just rode off the front up a hill, taking Sam with me. We were getting good at this! We caught two guys in front and were closing the break but the road was running out. I clipped off alone to try and bridge the final 25 seconds but didn't quite make it, witnessing the winner's celebration from just behind, which is always a little heartbreaking.

A box of broken dreams on Sunday

Nevermind! Off to do the biggest amateur stage race in Brittany on Sunday - Essor Breton. The guy who won it last year, Warren Barguil, (used to live down the road and a local hero) now rides for Argos-Shimano and was smashing it around the Tour of Turkey last week. It will no doubt be an 'experience' and time will tell whether this means good or bad things. Wish me luck!

Ruining my only team socks: a sad day

No comments :

Post a Comment